Hello riders. Today I am sitting down with author A.D. Reece and doing and exclusive interview for you all to enjoy. Check out all she has to offer on her career thus far as an author and what is going on with her Kickstarter that will be launching soon. Hope you enjoy this post and happy reading everyone. :)
****
Author Interview with A.D. Reece
Hello A.D. Reece. Would you please introduce yourself to our readers?
Hey there! My name is A. D. Reece. I write chaotic, comedic fantasy romance novels with a focus on finding queer joy and disrupting systems of oppression. My debut novel, Wayward Magic, has been out for nine months and I am working on its sequel about an angry fairy godmother trying to find her place in the world.
Can you tell us three things you love the most about being an author?
I have been a writer for more than half of my life, so the writing is an obsessive craft that I’ll never give up, but I have noticed a few perks to being an author. My absolute favorite thing about being an author is simply connecting with readers, whether it be at local markets or large conventions, it is a dream to stand behind my little, pink book and tell everyone who approaches all about it. In the same vein, I’ve met quite a few younger readers in the last few months and I adore getting to be the author who tells them that they can chase their dreams and become published, too. There’s enough space on bookshelves for all of us and I want nothing more than to foster the creativity that is sparking all around me. Finally, I love the way weekend trips out of town have turned into opportunities to find more bookstores where my wife lovingly introduces me as an author. She’s watched me chase this reality for a long time and it still makes me warm and fuzzy to have her support and constant cheering as we make our way through life.
What types of genres do you enjoy writing in? Do you have specific ones your build your author brand around?
Right now, I am all about fantasy and romance and fairytale retellings. Sometimes, a little horror sneaks in. These are the foundation for my current author brand, but I think my readers are flexible and will follow me as I continue to bend the constraints of genre to explore the stories I want to tell.
What does a day in the life of you look like?
I am one of those authors with a full time day job, so I spend most of my day working behind the counter of a fast food restaurant where the fast pace keeps me occupied and the repetitive nature of the work allows me to spend most of my day thinking about writing, filling plot holes, and escaping into character development. Once freed from obligations, I make my way home to squeeze my cat, love on my dog, and then settle in for daily writing before dinner with my wife. If we have time to spare, we’ll use the rest of our evening to watch a movie or read through our never ending TBR together.
One thing a lot of authors have is a fuzzy sidekick that keeps them company…do you have a pet that keeps your motivated while you write? Please share pictures if you do.
I have the best pets in the universe. They, however, are more motivated to keep me out of my writing chair than in it. Purrseus, my slightly evil black cat, is known for howling from the hall and biting toes when he isn’t given sufficient attention. Lilo, an anxious cinnamon roll of a dog, would rather I shut my laptop and focus on petting her all night, so we have to make compromises on my writing style and I depend on a lot of sprints to get through the bulk of my stories.
What tropes do you like to stick to in the romance genre?
My favorite tropes are reluctant allies to lovers and one bed. There’s just something magical about two people who have to work on some bigger than life goal who realize they like each other enough that they would keep the other from spending a night on the floor. I want to reward my characters with a soft love after all the chaos I put them through.
Do you ever write fiction outside the romance genres?
I’ve dabbled in short fiction and horror, but often those contain a romantic element because I’m enamored with the tension of characters being forced into harrying situations together.
Right now, you have a Kickstarter that is live for your book “Wayward Magic…” Can you share some about this book and why you think our readers should back your project?
Wayward Magic is a chaotic, Cinderella retelling. My Cinderella, Eli Cinderfella, is a tavern keep who wants to duck his head and live out a boring existence until his fairy godmother comes to ruin his night with a wish he didn’t mean to make. Broken wands and stolen magic lead the two on an epic adventure through the kingdom of Briargild where they come toe-to-toe with a Necromancer, a Witch, and, of course, Prince Charming. Along with a skeletal dragon, Eli has to save his kingdom from a tyrannical king and the pink, glittering magic that threatens to consume him.
For fans of “The Princess Bride” and “Shrek,” this story is a lighthearted romp through fantastical kingdoms where secrets are revealed at every turn. This is the kind of novel built around hope and queer joy that I want to see more of in the world and I’m so grateful to Jessika at Plush & Regal Press for making it a reality. With so much diverse representation within it, this story fits on all kinds of book shelves and would make for an amazing audiobook. We’ve already got two, impressive narrators lined up to bring this book to life and would appreciate any help getting our kickstarter fully funded in order to make that happen!
What types of backer tiers are available for your Kickstarter?
We have basic tiers starting at only $10 for thank you notes from the author and access to the audiobook once it’s created, hopefully, by January. From there, we also offer special book boxes with different versions of Wayward Magic, stickers, and amazing artwork. I’m particularly excited about the speckled, sprayed edges we’re working on as well as the new artwork for page overlays in the biggest box. At the highest end of our tiers, we have space for sponsors to apply to get an ad read in the final version of the audiobook as well as to receive all the goodies we’re offering across the kickstarter.
Have you used Kickstarter before? How many campaigns do you have under your belt?
I am brand new to this, but my publisher, Jessika, has backed several projects and had a good idea of how this would work when she brought the idea to our meeting. Fingers crossed, we can make this one the first under my belt!
Tell us about your main characters in your book “Wayward Magic?”
Eli Cinderfella is my dashing protagonist. An average tavern keep, he wishes for nothing more than to take over his father’s business as he’s close to turning thirty at the start of the book, but everything goes out the window when he gets into an altercation with some guardsmen and makes a wish he regrets.
Gemma is his fairy godmother. She’s young and spunky and quite mad that this particular tavern keep broke her wand. She’s been a reader favorite and will be the star of the sequel novel.
Prince Alexander Charming plays the part of the love interest. He’s a little older than Eli and incredibly overlooked as a wheelchair user that his father doesn’t expect to ever take the throne. With a lot of secrets of his own, he may be a big piece in the puzzle of overthrowing the current king of Briargild.
How is the world build and run throughout the book “Wayward Magic?”
The main kingdom of “Wayward Magic,” Briargild, is one with an intense focus on controlling magic at all times. Only fairy godmothers have the ability to grant a wish and that magic is tightly reigned in using rune-etched, golden handles on each wand. Gold is used all over the kingdom to signify places the monarchy has overstepped its power and is in direct contrast to the pink glitter Eli begins creating when he accidentally steals his fairy godmother’s wand.
I think readers are going to be delighted by the glittery chaos he creates as well as the plant magic that becomes a revolutionary trend in the novel. There aren’t many stories in which a glitter bomb goes off in a castle, so this is one they won’t want to miss.
If you were a new author thinking about trying out Kickstarter what would be your top three pieces of advice?
I would advise that new authors spend a lot of time marketing their plan to run a kickstarter for a while before actually launching it and focus on getting their audience to sign up for the notifications first. I’m convinced that’s how the most successful kickstarters are funded in just a few hours. We’re still relatively new at this, but spreading the word anyway you can is always a good plan. Being open and vulnerable about every step of the process is always a great way to build trust with your audience.
Tell us three things about yourself that defines you as a person?
My creativity, my queerness, my unwavering belief that the good guys get to win and the world will someday be a better, more accepting place.
Most writers are some of the most avid readers in the world…what are you currently reading?
I, Medusa by Ayana Gray
If you haven’t picked it up yet, I highly recommend. The writing is so rich in its description. I love the way Gray has twisted known details of old stories to create something so fresh and exciting. I honestly can never get enough of angry women getting to rewrite their own stories. So, so good.
And the arc for “Homeward for a Spell” by Jamie Pacton and Rebecca Podos
My wife introduced me to these authors a few months ago and I’ve been slowly working through their backlogs of novels. Incredible work all around. If you’re in the mood for sweet and fun D&D adjacent shenanigans, this is the right kind of book for you. I can’t get enough of the characters, the adventure, the mix of steamy and intimate scenes. It’s a perfect comfort read.
What type of books do you enjoy writing and reading the most?
I love writing fantasy and romance, but I am typically reading horror or historical fiction. I think it’s a great practice for writers to always be reading out of their current project’s genre in order to keep their skills sharp. There are so many great metaphors and descriptions used in horror that help me craft crazy kingdoms in fantasy that I may have overlooked if I was just reading and regurgitating the same kind of books all the time.
What is a piece of advice you would like to share with an author that never tried Kickstarter before?
Believe in yourself and the community will follow. There’s always more than one chance to get funded, but nothing can start until you take the first step.
What is something you would like to share with a new budding author that is just starting off in their career?
Write the crappy draft. The thing filled with plot holes and inconsistencies with a single premise that makes your soul sing. It takes a lot of work to write a novel, even more to finish one, so start with just getting all your jumbled thoughts onto the page and working out the pieces that excited you most to work on. After that, you’ll have editors and first readers to guide you through the next steps, but everything has to start with you and that kernel of a story that inspired you to write in the first place.
What is your favorite thing about being an author?
I am still in awe that I get to call myself an author. I think I am most excited to think about the future right now, to clutch my first book and write its sequel knowing that there’s a whole career stretched out in front of me and readers who are equally excited to meet me along that road.
If you could give yourself advice, what would you have changed about your journey as an author from the beginning?
Nothing. I have fought crippling doubt and intense depression/anxiety to get here. Wayward Magic was written on the whim that it would never get published and would just be this silly thing I created and then shut in a drawer. The fact that it’s a real book that real people have not just read but reached out to tell me how much they loved reading is a gift I wouldn’t be able to appreciate without the years of hard work up until this point. I am who I am today because I spent a long time crafting myself and I want to just relish every moment I get to be a fully realized author.
****
A. D. Reece is queer writer in California. When she’s not righting the mishaps of her protagonists, she can be found browsing local bookstores, creating fiber art, and sneaking away from her desk to see friends. She looks forward to creating more wayward stories brimming with magic and love to read to her wife.
Find A.D. Reece over on INSTAGRAM @adreecewriting!
****
I hope you enjoyed getting to know A.D. Reece and her currently live Kickstarter for Wayward Magic. Please head over to her Kickstarter Campaign and check out all the details to help you decide on which tier you want to back for this Fantasy Romance Novel.
****
I hope you enjoyed this post. If you would like to be notified when more posts like this go live please head over to the sidebar menu. You can subscribe to either the RSS Feed option or the Follow Me button. This way you get updates to your emails when more posts go live here on KM Jenkins' Book Nook.










No comments:
Post a Comment