Please Read...

Ways to Read the World of Tarzinëa & More for FREE or Close To It!

Hello riders! I don't know if you know but my books are on several sites that you don't realize. These sites are designed to help yo...

Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Mazu's Hatchling Adventure Part Three...

 Hello riders. Today I am featuring the third installment into "Mazu's Hatchling Adventure." This is a short story I have been working on for several weeks now or months give or take. I hope you enjoy this little snippet between the elk and Mazu as they chat and Mazu gets ready for the next step of his adventure. I should have a longer piece next time. And I look forward to bringing it to you again at the end of August. Happy reading everyone. :)

****



Mazu's Hatchling Adventure

Part 3
by: K.M. Jenkins

Mazu gazed at the elk in astonishment. He never knew creatures existed. But he wasn’t exactly sure what creatures existed in the world because of a lack of knowledge. Slowly he slid forward as the elk lowered its head to let Mazu graze its nose against its.

A moment of connection happened between them. He could clearly see some images from the elk’s life dance across his vision. The elk didn’t seem frightened by this thought and slowly receded from his touch. 

“What was that?” Mazu asked bewildered.

The elk blinked and chewed on a piece of grass. He seemed deep in thought for a moment until he reached out with his own mind to Mazu will a smile flashing in his dark eyes.

“That my dear hatchling is memory gazing. I let you see some of my life here in the woods of the elder tree to help you find your way.”

He blinked in surprise. 

“I thought I could only see images from the bond I have with my mother?”

The elk chewed thoughtfully on its grass and nodded its head.

“Yes, that is true. But memory gazing is allowed between creatures that have similar magical attributes. It allows us to communicate on a deeper level. You will be more aware of this ability as time goes on and you strengthen your bond with your rider.”

The word rider felt odd to him. He didn’t know what a rider was, and he wasn’t sure the elk would give him more information than he already had. It seemed like the elk was itching to get away to head farther inland to get away from something. Mazu couldn’t help but feel sadness creep in. He wanted his new friend to stay at his side for a while longer. But even he knew that some things you can’t change with wild beasts.

“What’s a rider?” 

The elk looked at him, surprised. 

“Doesn’t your mother have a rider?”

He thought back to the images of the world she had shown him. And he realized that there were always two beings that stood out as important to her besides him. There was a large, male-looking bronze dragon that she called Katzu and a scrawny, elf-eared man with long black hair she called Blake.

“I know my father by memories but I'm not sure about the elven man that seems to keep company with my mother.”

“Aww…that would be her rider.”

He cocked his head to the side when a yell came from the north end of the forest. The elk’s ears shot back and his skittered in place. Mazu couldn’t help but feel curious about the noise; everything was so new to him. But the elk didn’t seem like it wanted to stick around anymore.

“I’m sorry hatchling but my time here is done. It is time to leave this place. If you were wise you would return to your mother’s side.”

“Why? What was that?”

“That would be the humans… you should avoid them until you are ready. Your mother wouldn’t want you among them so young.”

He snorted. His mother wouldn’t mind if he checked out the noise. She was sleeping after all. The elk was only a chicken and could face the fact that curiosity was far more interesting when you found the answers yourself. 

The elk stomped its hoof and turned. 

“Fare thee well, hatchling. I pray the gods will guide your path safely home. Please stay clear of the village encampment. Times have changed but even humans are still tricky folk to trust.”

Mazu bounced his body in confirmation of his request. The elk dashed into the trees westbound from the village, seeking to put distance between them. Mazu turned to head back towards his mother’s lair when heard footsteps nearby. He froze as a large man with a metal stick with a blunt blade stepped out in front of him. The man didn’t notice Mazu, so he remained still, waiting to see what the strange creature would do next. 

The man looked around with his hand towards his eyes to shade the sun from his eyesight. Then he turned back and yelled something over his shoulder. After a moment passed, he turned back towards the way he came and Mazu found himself curious enough to follow at a short distance. 

He knew he was breaking his word with the elk for not returning to his mother, but something told him to follow this man. There was a reason he was in the forest and brought to Mazu’s spot. And who was Mazu to deny his fate if it meant to follow this man to it. At least I hope I don’t get into too much trouble, or mother will have my hide.

Stay tuned for Part 4 Coming in August!


****

Did you enjoy this post? If you did please subscribe to my blog by the RSS Feed Option or through the Follow Me Button in the side menu bar in the right corner. You will get notified when I have an update on my world building for Tarzinëa, short stories featured monthly, and bookish posts featured every weekend. I hope you have a great hump day and enjoy the rest of your week.

~ Katie






No comments:

Post a Comment