Please Read...

Ways to Read the World of Tarzinëa & More for FREE or Close To It!

Hello riders! I don't know if you know but my books are on several sites that you don't realize. These sites are designed to help yo...

Saturday, September 12, 2026

Author Interview with J.C. Murphey

Hello riders and readers. Hard to believe it is Saturday already. Today I am sitting down with Dark Fantasy Author J.C. Murphey featuring them in an exclusive author interview. I hope you will stick around to find out more about her and her journey thus far for her campaign over on Kickstarter. If you haven't check out her prelaunch page you can HERE. She has a dark fantasy titled "Don't Fear Death," coming out as a Grimdark Fantasy Omnibus this coming February. If you love things a little dark this will be the best omnibus for you. Happy reading everyone :).

****


Author Interview with J.C. Murphey


Hi J.C. Murphey. Can you start things off by introducing yourself?

I’m a Texas-based author of dark fantasy and romance, and I have been self-publishing since 2023! Beyond that, I have been writing as a hobby and competitively in school for 25 years… so I have a lot of WIPs. 

Tell us about your hobbies and special interests? What things do you like to do in your free time?

I like to bake and read, as well as make soap. I like trying new things! 

What genres and tropes do you like to read and write?

I like to write the darker, grungier sides of fantasy and romance, with tropes like secret identities and miscommunication (I know someone will come after me for that).

Do you collect anything in particular that you think represents you as a person?

I like to collect nail polish; I get tired of the color often and like to change my nails with my mood. I’m also a mood writer and reader, so I guess that kind of goes along with the “trying new things” aspect.  
 
What does a day in the life of you look like?

I have a full-time job, so most of my writing and editing takes place during my lunch breaks or after my daughter’s bedtime. Most of the time I’m hunched in a shrimp pose on my bed or at the table writing.

Describe your favorite place to write? And why?

I don’t get to do it often, but I love rotating through the local coffee shops to hide out and write. I love people watching, and sometimes get inspired by little things like drink orders or snippets of conversation I overhear. 

You have a Kickstarter in Pre-Launch for “Don’t Fear Death” a Grimdark Fantasy Omnibus. Tell us what inspired it?

It’s kind of a celebration to wrap up the first series I wrote as an indie author. I wanted it to go out with a pretty special edition of all the books as a kind of reward for both my readers and me for sticking with it this long! 

Tell us about your Kickstarter for “Don’t Fear Death…”

It’s a combination offering preorder copies of the last book in the series, Don’t Fear the Legion, and a special edition omnibus that includes all the main books in the “Don’t Fear Death” series. This series started gaining an audience on Kickstarter, so it only felt right to send it off with a Kickstarter for the final installment. 

Who is the main character(s) and can you tell us a little bit about them?

There are two main characters, Victor Rexford and the Grim Reaper, Noira. Victor is a broody college student who gets wrapped up in a cult who accidentally summons a demon, and Noira the Grim Reaper recruits him to clean the mess up. 

What types of tropes will we find in “Don’t Fear Death…” your Kickstarter you plan to run this February?

The tropes touch on reincarnation, angels vs demons, miscommunication, mental health rep, and witches in covens. 

What was the hardest thing about writing “Don’t Fear Death?”

I think the hardest part was finishing the series. It has been something I’ve both anticipated and dreading, like I’m closing a chapter on a part of my writing journey by finishing my first series. I want it to be perfect, and we all know a “perfect” book is impossible, but I always strive to tell the best version of a story and it has been a challenge to land on the best ending. 

How do you plan to implement Kickstarter into your journey as an author in the future?

I love collaborating with other authors and finding new readers who are willing to branch out on Kickstarter, so I definitely plan to run campaigns for all my upcoming releases. I have the sequel to my dark romance and dark romantasy slated to come out within the next year!

What advice would you give to an author that hasn’t used Kickstarter before?

Don’t be afraid to jump in! A lot of what I learned came from interacting with campaigns and giving feedback on prelaunches.

What advice would you give a budding author who has never published before?

Maybe the same as getting into Kickstarter… just jump in! Like I said before, you will never have a “perfect” story. But you will have a story who is perfect for someone, and that is worth putting it out in the world in my opinion. 

Please share with us any additional details you want to showcase about your Kickstarter and your journey as an author thus far?

This special edition omnibus will include never-before-seen art that I am VERY excited for, including some before and after art of the MMC Victor. I don’t want to spoil too much but… if you want the full experience of the Don’t Fear Death series I highly recommend getting the omnibus! It will be available as an ebook as well!


*****
ABOUT THE AUTHOR

I’m J.C. Murphey, lover and writer of dark romance and dark fantasy. Collectively, I have been writing for over 20 years and stockpiling all sorts of spooky, emotional projects that I am slowly (very slowly, sometimes) putting out into the world. ​ I live in Texas with my husband, daughter, two cats and a dog. So while I seem heartless ruthlessly torturing my poor characters, I assure you I do have some semblance of a heart somewhere.  ​ 

Follow J.C. Murphey...


****

I hope you enjoyed this exclusive interview with J.C. Murphey. If you haven't check out her Kickstarter PreLaunch Page yet you should head over there. You can see all the details she currently is teasing for readers to follow her. Click the NOTIFY ME ON LAUNCH button this way you get updates from the author and get the launch announcement when she goes live. 

Did you enjoy this post?

If you enjoyed this post and would like to be notified when new content goes live on KM Jenkins Book Nook Blog then subscribe today. All you have to do is go to the sidebar menu and subscribe by the RSS Feed Option or the Follow Me Button. This way you get notified when new content goes live here on our blog. I hope you have a great Saturday and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Until next time.

~ Katie

1 comment: