Please Read...

Ways to Read the World of Tarzinëa & More for FREE or Close To It!

Hello riders! I don't know if you know but my books are on several sites that you don't realize. These sites are designed to help yo...

Saturday, September 19, 2026

Author Interview with TJ Muir

 Hello riders and readers. I hope you are excited. The author interview for Saturday is finally here. And I am sitting down with author TJ Muir today. She is a talented fantasy author and she has a campaign about to go live over on Kickstarter. Make sure to read all about her journey and her favorite things on top of learning about the Kickstarter that many are flocking to follow. Don't miss out! Start reading about TJ Muir today just scroll down to start. Happy reading everyone :).

****


Author Interview with TJ Muir


Hi TJ Muir. Please start things off by introducing yourself…

Hi, and thank you for inviting me! I’m TJ Muir, an epic fantasy author, lifelong reader, and unapologetic collector of imaginary people, places, and problems. I live in the mountains of northern New England with two cats, four goats (it used to be 15-- so 4 is really nothing:) and Tucker, my pupper critter, who makes sure I occasionally leave my desk and remember that an outside world exists.

I’ve always been fascinated by folklore, history, culture, and the ways people find their place in the world. Those interests tend to find their way into my stories—usually alongside dangerous magic, complicated loyalties, ancient secrets, and characters who are still figuring out exactly what they are capable of.

What kind of books have you written in the past and plan for the future?

All of the books that I’ve written have been in the epic fantasy range. I recently realized my first books, centering on Jedda and his journey, are probably fantasy romance, with a bit of coming of age elements. The book, which became a series, began with the question: How did Jedda become a powerful mage? From that, came the Kirrin books: similar question: How did Kirrin become a skilled and feared assassin? Out of those, Kadaris came onto the pages, and so did Fern. I didn’t make the same mistake of starting with a character question:)  But, this is just to explain that most of my books have strong cross-over elements and are all set within the same epic fantasy universe:) 


Do you have any current series finished or running that readers can get their fingers into?

I do.  
 
a. My current series is Legacy of the Lost Mage, which features Kadaris and Fern- enemies to allies to friends, as the two women each step into their power as women and as forces to be reckoned with. Fern as a shadow dancer and Kadaris as a mage.  
 
b. There is also the original Chanmyr Chronicles series, which features Kirrin and the politics of a corrupt region where magic is broken. There are currently 3 Kirrin books, that follow his story from scrappy street rat to highly trained spy and assassin. There are 3-4 more Kirrin books planned (2 written and waiting for the editing pen :).  
 
c. And there are the four Jedda books, which I love like a first-born child. But they will likely get split off into their own series (right now they are books 4-7) and be expanded significantly. 
 
d. I also have another series planned, a kind of time travel fantasy romance. That series will take the characters back into the history of the world, where magic was misused and mages became so powerful they were feared.

Check out all my books over on Amazon


What does a normal day look like for yourself? Do you have a day job or are you a professional author?

I do work part-time, since it forces me out of the house at least one day of the week. I enjoy it because it is outside and I can bring Tucker (my pupper critter), who plays with the 4 dogs where I work. Other than that, writing is my main-hat. I do have some chronic (lyme disease) health issues so I am not nearly as active as I would like to be. But I love the mountains where  I live, and like to get out daily for a walk, or sometimes a longer hike.

What types of creatures do you like to feature in your books of creation?

a. I have a number of non-human creatures that I’m not sure how to categorize. 

b. I’ll start with Kohnaj, who is the griffin-like mount of one of the gods. And he may feature strongly in one of the future series.

c. I have a number of supernatural beings, and creatures, from brimbles- who are a bit like gnomes(?).. that can show up (mostly invisibly) randomly and “nest” for a while- either helping or hindering, depending on whether they are happy with their environment. (hint: they can be annoyed into nuisance or coaxed into favors:)

d. There are the Tarish- which are a kind of cross between a higher level supernatural being, and a nature spirit/guardian. They are usually anchored to a geographic region and their function is to maintain a kind of magical-energetic harmony.

e. Then there is Wisper- Kadaris’s magical tracking wisp-- and I don’t think we have yet delved into what its true nature might be.. there’s a good chance that there’s more to Wisper than meets the eye. 

Are you an avid reader? What kind of books do you like to read?

I have always been an avid reader, ever since the first grade. I was a lit major in college with a minor in anthropology, studying the full range of literary classics, and learning about kinship, genealogy and folklore. Once I finished my education, I quickly rediscovered my love of the SFF genre. And I especially love when worlds and cultures are rich and rewarding with unique cultural elements.

What type of hobbies and activities do you like to do in your free time?

I like to read, as just noted. I like to hike and swim, as well. And I am also a die-hard gamer. I have been playing Elder Scrolls Online for the past eight years- and have made many wonderful friends along the way. I probably spent more hours than I should, chasing after quests and storylines there:) 

You currently have a Kickstarter in Prelaunch for your “Wayward Mage” Special Edition Book. Can you tell us about this project of yours and how it came to be featured?

A few years ago, a good author-friend of mine talked me into doing Kickstarter. I blundered into that without really knowing what I was doing-- at all :)  But I did like the opportunity it afforded me to revisit Winter Mage and make it a better, fuller, richer story. And I loved connecting with a new group of readers who loved following the campaign and the journey. With the next one, Lost Mage, I think I finally found my footing- although mistakes were definitely made along the way:) So now, with Wayward Mage, continuing the series-- with expanded chapters, bonus content and illustrations-- doesn’t feel new or scary. In fact, it’s becoming a kind of challenge, to think about what fun things my readers and backers will get excited about. 


Tell us about the main characters in the “Wayward Mage?” 

Wayward Mage follows Fern and Kadaris, as both of their storylines are evolving considerably. When we first met Kadaris, she was hungry and obsessed with magic. She got what she wished for, but it came with a whole boatload of new problems. She’s been chased, imprisoned, and tortured. She’s found a powerful relic that has made her more powerful, but at the cost of her brother and ties to her family. She also realizes that she has something that other people want- so that she isn’t safe. She is given an invitation to join mages in a distant realm (magic is only just making a re-emergence after 500 years), where mages are being welcomed. She takes it. 
 
And she is followed soon after, by Fern, who is a shadow dancer that is working with her own mentor. Their task: remove the powerful dangerous magic before it can destroy a realm. 
 
Needless to say, this puts Fern and Kadaris on opposite sides of the fence. In Wayward Mage, they both reach Finoren and Fern is actively looking for a way to get to Kadaris and get the relic away from her. But it isn’t as easy as it sounds in a castle filled with mages. 
 
In Finoren- Kadaris immediately alienates the one person who can make or break her future. This results in her being given a near-impossible mission in order to earn her mage’s robes. Meanwhile, Fern unintentionally makes a powerful impression on the reigning monarch and becomes her personal incognito, bodyguard. Both women are adjusting to life changes they never could have anticipated.  
 

What tropes can you find within the Kickstarter Campaign for “Wayward Mage?”

The outsider seeking her place: Kadaris reaches Finoren hoping to become a mage, but earning a place there means overcoming more than a lack of formal training. 

The impossible assignment: After offending Amonar, she receives a mission seasoned mages have already failed—a chance to prove herself that might also conveniently get rid of her. 

Forbidden magic: A secretive cult is awakening power buried since the purge, bringing the dangers of the past into Kadaris’s path. 

The dangerous wilderness: Shadar Wold holds more than unfamiliar terrain. Its secrets threaten her mind as well as her life. 

Ambition with a price: Kadaris wants recognition as a mage, but proving what she can do may earn her enemies alongside acceptance. 

The unwanted apprentice who won’t take the hint: Sending Kadaris somewhere dangerous might seem an effective way to discourage her. Unfortunately, she sees an opportunity.

You have done a total of 3 Kickstarters so far…what has been your experience so far? Good or bad…

Mostly good!  Definitely good enough that I plan to continue doing them. As noted earlier, I blundered into my first campaign, even with the help of a more experienced author friend. And then there were.. Oh… I did a thing.. mistakes.. none of which were completely disastrous.  A botched proof copy that delayed fulfillment. Issues with the printer that made mistakes with the order. Definitely learning curves. Fortunately, the backers and followers have been truly priceless and understanding with every hiccup we’ve encountered.

How do you plan to implement Kickstarter Platform into your publishing business in the future? Will there be more books in the “Legacy of the Lost Mage Series?”

I definitely plan to do more Kickstarters. In fact, I have been eager to complete this one and the next, so that it is possible to have more than one going at a time. I would like to have a kickstarter for a holiday-themed novel I wrote (yes, set in the same universe). I would also like to do KS campaigns for the Kirrin books. And, I am strongly considering whether I might launch the fantasy-time-travel series on KS before going to the retail platforms :) And of course, there are 7 more Kadaris books to work through, as well :)

What advice would you give to an author that is using Kickstarter for their first special edition or early released book?

ASK FOR HELP :) Study other campaigns. If you don’t have critical eyes, ask someone, or GPT or however you assess information-- to look at pages and help you understand how and why successful campaigns are structured. 

Don’t set high goals or expectations. A low funding goal does not mean you may not make 50k on your campaign. It is better to have a low funding “success” than a high-priced failure.

Join groups of authors who have done successful campaigns, for support and feedback.

Be patient in prelaunch. Gather as many followers to your campaign as possible. This might take time-- but it is worth the wait. You won’t lose the followers you have and your campaign will reach much better successful funding. 

What do you plan to include for swag and other goodies in your campaign? What do you see is a favorite among your followers?

I’ve given this a good bit of thought. Currently, I have stretch goals for funding, and I have also done follower-based goals in the past. Those rewards have been digital wallpaper and art from the series, bonus scenes from other characters, character interviews, bio’s etc. As for swag? I’ve thought about doing physical bookmarks and embossed bookplates with the TJ Muir Logo on them, with a place for them to keep their names in the book without writing in the book itself :) 

 

Please include anything else you would like to feature about your Kickstarter or yourself as an author… 

I love stories, and I love writing them. I especially love writing about women and marginalized people looking for their place in the world and discovering their power—both supernatural and mundane.

I love fantasy because it lets us explore the world around us through wonder: its history, its fears, the systems people build, and the choices people make when the old rules begin to fail. At the heart of the stories I write are characters who may not begin as heroes, but who keep choosing to learn, to care, and to stand their ground.

I hope readers come away from my books with a sense that even in a difficult world, there is still room for discovery, connection, and becoming more than you first believed possible.

Head over to "Wayward Magic's" Prelaunch Page! Click NOTIFY ME ON LAUNCH for updates from the author and to receive the launch announcement on launch day.  

**** 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR


I’m the author of the Legacy of the Lost Mage series and The Chanmyr Chronicles. I write adult epic fantasy filled with lost magic, forgotten histories, complicated loyalties, and capable but imperfect characters searching for their place in the world.

My own path has been nearly as varied as those of my characters. I’ve made swords, trained horses, studied literature and anthropology, earned a master’s degree in education, and trained as a practicing shaman. All of those experiences find their way, in one form or another, into the worlds and cultures I create.

I live in the mountains, where I divide my time between writing, reading, gaming, and exploring the outdoors with Tucker, my pupper critter. I also love goats, because every author bio should include at
least one truly important fact.

Follow TJ Muir at the Following Links:


****

Did you enjoy this post?


I hope you enjoyed this post freaturing an author interview with Epic Fantasy Author TJ Muir. If you want to get notifications when new content goes live here on KM Jenkins Book Nook, please subscribe. You can do this by heading over to our sidebar menu and subscribing by the RSS Feed Option or through the Follow Me Button. Either way works. I look forward to bringing you more bookish content today and tomorrow. Until next time.

~ Katie



No comments:

Post a Comment