Please Read...

Ways to Read the World of Tarzinëa & More for FREE or Close To It!

Hello riders! I don't know if you know but my books are on several sites that you don't realize. These sites are designed to help yo...

Sunday, August 16, 2026

Author Interview with Katharine E. Wibell

 Hello riders and readers. Today I am sitting down with author Katharine E. Wibell and we are going to discuss her career thus far and how she is working with Kickstarter on her current campaign for her special editions for her book "Fleet: Legend of Atalanta." Dive into this interview below and I hope you will follow her while her campaign is live presently over on Kickstarter. Check it out HERE. Happy reading everyone :).

****

Author Interview with Katharine E. Wibell


Hello Katharine. Can you please start things off with introducing yourself to our readers?

Hi! I’m Katharine E. Wibell, a high fantasy author of several series, including The Djed Chronicles, a young adult isekai (portal fantasy); The Incarn Saga, a new adult, dark fantasy about shifters and war gods; and The Guardian’s Speaker, a Viking dark fantasy for mature readers that also serves as a retelling of Nordic myth. My latest book, Fleet: Legend of Atalanta, is a Greek myth retelling set a generation before the Trojan War. It includes some of the most famous heroes of that era, including Heracles, Orpheus, Jason, and, of course, Atalanta.

Tell us three fun facts about yourself that you think defines you as a person?

(1) Through imaginary play with my sister as a child, a magical multiverse slowly took shape, along with numerous characters, creatures, and their backstories. I wanted to share those worlds with others, which inspired me to become a writer. Now, after all these years, I am actively publishing a series based on that multiverse, The Djed Chronicles. It’s also why the main character has my name, since she was my childhood alter ego.

(2) That same main character was supposed to know a variety of medieval combat skills, including archery. Wanting to embody her, I got into competitive archery and even attempted the Olympic trials right before heading to college. 

(3) One of my majors in college was Psychology, with an emphasis in Animal Behavior. Let’s just say I wanted to be Dr. Dolittle. My love of animals continues to find its way into my writing through various creatures and beings, from the Guardian’s Speaker’s fylgjur—animal-shaped guardian spirits from Nordic myth—to the shapeshifter race in The Incarn Saga.

Do you have any family? Tell us a little bit about those that support you as an author…

I am extremely fortunate that my parents have always been supportive of all my passions, including writing. They helped me promote and set up my first book signings after I began publishing my debut series. My mom even introduced me to my first writing group and, due to her background, has served as a beta reader and editor at times. I would not be where I am today without their help and guidance.

A lot of authors have sidekicks in training at their side. Do you have a furry friend that helps motivate you or tries to stop you from writing in the first place?

Right now, I have two dogs. Odin, my Irish wolfhound, is my sensitive, albeit moody, boy, and Bonnie (Bad-News Bonnie), my husky, serves as my shadow most days. I have created two book characters based on their personalities for my upcoming progression-lite high fantasy series, Lost Legends of Parapangaea.

What is life like in your shoes? Can you describe a simple day where you do what you love most?

Most weekdays I start the morning with several cups of coffee while posting on my author social media accounts. If I have some time, I’ll read a chapter of a book before spending several hours writing. My afternoons are spent either editing, formatting, or marketing my books. I’m also an artist and take commissions for pet portraits, so some afternoons are spent painting instead. I try to hit the gym before dinner and then hang out with my husband and dogs, watching a show or movie before sneaking in some bedtime reading. I also host a live stream with other authors on TikTok one evening a week.

As an author why would you consider using Kickstarter as a base for you publishing career? How has it helped you?

There are a number of reasons why authors use Kickstarter as part of their publishing careers. It can help fund the production of a book and/or audiobook since indie authors typically have to invest their own money just to reach the point of releasing a book. It can also be a great way to create buzz for a book or series as well as help gauge reader interest in a project.

Recently, I have used Kickstarter to help finance the creation of special edition books. Alternative cover designs with special features such as foiling, sprayed edges, colored endpapers, ribbon bookmarks, and interior art can be quite costly. A successful campaign allows me to recoup some of that investment while creating beautiful special edition books that I can continue to offer exclusively through my own shop and at events I attend.

There are also readers who purchase their books almost exclusively through Kickstarter, so being on that platform allows me to reach a different market.

There is no guarantee that a Kickstarter campaign will succeed, but in my experience, it never hurts to try and see what becomes of your efforts. However, if you are considering producing a special edition and launching it through Kickstarter, never invest more money in the project than you could afford to spend on your own. If a campaign is unsuccessful, the backers are not charged and the creator receives no funding. Any money you have already invested is still your responsibility.

How many Kickstarters have you done so far in your journey as an author and have they all been fruitful?

My fifth campaign is currently running through August 18. This one is for Fleet: Legend of Atalanta, my Greek myth retelling, and offers the upcoming standard edition as well as a special edition of the book. So far, all of my campaigns have been successful in that they reached their initial funding goals. I have run campaigns ranging from one for a standard edition that brought in $1000 to one last fall that reached the low five figures. How each author defines success varies, but I have been very happy with my results so far because these campaigns have allowed me to cover my production costs.

You currently have a Kickstarter running for your book “Fleet: Legend of Atalanta.” Can you tell us about this campaign?


Yes! Fleet: Legend of Atalanta includes odds-defying encounters with fearsome monsters and jealous gods, sweeping quests, and characters who challenge what it means to be a hero, all set in vibrant landscapes straight out of Greek myth. As I mentioned earlier, this campaign includes options for the deluxe special edition which boasts gorgeous foil covers, a map, beautiful full-color interior character art, and sprayed edges.

The story follows Atalanta, a woman who was abandoned as an infant on a mountain, where Artemis, goddess of the hunt, saves her. Raised in the wilderness, Atalanta dedicates herself to the goddess and develops a variety of skills, including archery, wrestling, racing, and spear hunting. She quickly realizes that to maintain independence, she needs the power and respect that come with the revered title of hero. So, when the most powerful and gifted mortals are gathered for the quest for the Golden Fleece, she sets off in hopes of establishing her fame. But the odds of survival are stacked against not only Atalanta but all who embark on the voyage. None of them are prepared for the challenges that lie ahead.

Fleet is high fantasy with a darker undercurrent at times. It delves deep into Greek mythology, taking readers on an epic odyssey set a generation before Odysseus fought in the Trojan War. Drawing on both obscure and well-known myths, readers will explore themes of honor, fate, the struggle for notoriety in a reality where only the most worthy are honored by the gods in the form of constellations, dark divination, crumbling allegiances, and the question of what it truly means to be a hero. 
 
Atalanta’s stories connect her with famed figures such as Heracles, Jason, Orpheus, and Circe, along with favorite creatures and monsters from Greek myth, including sirens, harpies, centaurs, and even Scylla and Charybdis.

What kind of tiers are you offering in your campaign for “Fleet: Legend of Atalanta?”


I have a variety of tiers to choose from, including an early release of the eBook, standard paperback, a paperback and eBook bundle, a deluxe special edition hardcover with eBook, the special edition with art bundle and the eBook, and the Ultimate Book Lovers Bundle that includes the special edition, paperback, eBook, and art bundle.

All eBooks will be sent out weeks prior to the book’s official release, and all physical copies will be signed. Each tier that includes the special edition also offers backers the option of being acknowledged in that book.

Check them out HERE!

What can readers expect to find with your current Kickstarter that they didn’t see in your others?


This is the second time that I have run a Kickstarter offering a special edition. Like the previous one, it includes features such as sprayed edges, foiling on the cover, colored endpapers, an alternative cover design, and interior character art. Beyond the difference in subject matter, this special edition features gold foiling on the cover, and all the interior character art is in full color. There are also more add-on options for backers who want to customize their rewards, including books from my other series.

Can you tell us about the books you have done on Kickstarter and if they are available on stores now? Drop links :)

My first three Kickstarters helped me produce the standard editions of books in The Djed Chronicles: The UnderRealms (Book3), The Heart of Cintamani (Book 4), and The World of the Wyrms (Book 5). The eBooks are widely available, while print editions can be found through Amazon and my personal shop. The first two audiobooks are also available exclusively through Audible.

The Djed Chronicles is my young adult isekai (portal fantasy) series about a magical multiverse filled with countless quests, portal jumping, cranky dragons, sandwich-loving elves, and shadow monsters. It also explores themes such as: What if I am not the chosen one?

My other Kickstarter was for the special edition omnibuses and alternative cover omnibuses for The Guardian’s Speaker. This complete Viking dark fantasy series takes readers on an odyssey through all nine realms of Nordic myth and follows a woman who can see and communicate with each person’s animal-shaped guardian spirit. These special edition omnibuses are available exclusively through my shop. The standard editions are widely available as eBooks and audiobooks, while standard print editions can be found through Amazon and my shop. See the link below.

Check out my website HERE

Tell us about the main characters in “Fleet: Legend of Atalanta…”


Atalanta is the main character of my latest book. In Greek myth, she is one of the few mortal heroines who takes up weapons and sports to prove her worth as both a warrior and an athlete. She is the only female Argonaut to set sail on the quest for the Golden Fleece. In my version of her story, Atalanta is in constant pursuit of notoriety since she believes it is the only way she can achieve the independence that both she and her patroness, the goddess Artemis, revere. 
 
Another major character is Meleager, a young prince of Calydon who joins the voyage of the Argo in order to earn his own reputation in hopes of securing a worthy bride. Meleager is a romantic at heart and is not quite swayed by the demands of his station. 
 
Jason is a determined young man set on reclaiming the throne of Iolcus. His usurper uncle tasks him with bringing back the famed Golden Fleece to prove his worth and earn back his kingdom. It is under Jason’s leadership that the voyage of the Argo begins. 
 
There are many other famous members of the crew, including Heracles, Orpheus, and even the fathers of Odysseus and Achilles!

What advice would you give a new author using Kickstarter for the first time?

Make sure you have done your research and understand all that is involved as well as the risks. If the campaign does not reach its initial funding goal, the creator receives none of the pledged funds, and any money, time, and effort invested prior to the campaign is yours to absorb. This is not to say that a campaign can’t be highly successful, but do your research, know your market, have a solid marketing plan, and prepare wisely.

There are a lot of fantastic resources out there for just this purpose. One I would recommend is the Facebook group Kickstarter for Authors. There, you can ask questions and explore all of the content they have available. They also have an advanced group that you can join during the pre-launch of your first campaign. The advanced group helps authors arrange promotional swaps with others running campaigns and can be a wonderful way to promote your own.

How do you plan to implement Kickstarter in your publishing plans in the future? 

Going forward, I will continue using Kickstarter to help fund my independently published books, including both standard and special editions. If I build a strong enough following through Kickstarter, I might even consider working with a project management group like Merrick Books to help with the fulfillment and marketing of future campaigns.

Do you have anything else you would like to share with our readers about your journey as an author or about your current Kickstarter?

I always have multiple projects in the works across my various series. Running Kickstarters like Fleet: Legend of Atalanta helps me do this. Another upcoming work that I will be promoting is The Azure Knight, the sixth book in The Djed Chronicles. I aim to run a campaign for the standard version toward the end of the year.

I also have Cyri, a standalone romantic dark fantasy that is currently available through my Patreon, and Lost Legends of Parapangaea, which I will begin releasing on Royal Road on September 15! This is a progression-lite high fantasy told from multiple points of view and set in a reality heavily influenced by Dungeons and Dragons vibes.

I always love meeting readers and writers, so feel free to say hello on any of my social media accounts or at any live events I attend.


****

 ABOUT THE AUTHOR


High fantasy author Katharine E. Wibell has published nine full-length novels and sixteen novellas, with two more releases in 2026. The Incarn Saga is a fast-paced NA shifter fantasy, while The Djed Chronicles is a YA portal fantasy. The Guardian’s Speaker, an adult Viking dark fantasy, retells Nordic myths spanning Yggdrasil’s nine realms. Her accolades include two Children's Moonbeam Book Awards, a first-place Epic eBook Award, NIEA finalist honors, and several Amazon Best Seller ribbons. She promotes her work through multiple platforms, social media, Kickstarter, and direct sales, hosts weekly live chats on TikTok, and participates on literary convention panels. Multi-talented, she also hand-paints TTRPG miniatures of her characters, complete with sub-class and character sheets.

Learn more about Katharine...

BOOKBUB | GOODREADS | LEMON8 @katharinewibell

****

I hope you all enjoyed sitting down with Katharine and disgussing her journey thus far as an author and how she uses Kickstarter in her career as an author. It really opened up my eyes to how an author can make a big different with there career by implementing Kickstarter.

If you enjoyed this post head over to the sidebar menu in the upper right corner. You can subscribe to KM Jenkins' Book Nook blog and get updates through the RSS Feed Option or through the Follow Me button on the site. Hope to bring you more fun posts like this one to you in the near feature. 


 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment