Please Read...

Ways to Read the World of Tarzinëa & More for FREE or Close To It!

Hello riders! I don't know if you know but my books are on several sites that you don't realize. These sites are designed to help yo...

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Mazu's Hatchling Adventure Part 4

 Hello riders and readers. If you haven't started my short story "Mazu's Hatchling Adventure," with me yet you can click HERE to read the first portion of the story. Right now I am onto the fourth portion of the story and the final part of Mazu's POV for this short story. When part five comes I will be in Blake's POV and I will be excited to see how he handles a furious dragon mama that things the humans from the village over have stolen her egg. But lets get through part four first. Hope you enjoy.

****

Mazu's Hatchling Adventure
Part Four

Out of the shadows of the wheat, he went. Slowly he crawled down the road towards the trees north bound from the village. His heart beat raced in anticipation of what he would find. The closer he came to the trees the strong the pull felt on his body. It felt like a magical lasso egging him on to the unknown. 

Before he knew it, he found himself at the entrance to another forest. This one had more trees and seemed piled more with noises he never heard before. But what caught his attention was the small shelter that sat back from the road. He took it in. The building was compiled of wooden beams that stacked into tall walls with a roof like the village houses had. Sparkly pieces of stone hung from strings in the corner of the ceiling that created beams of rainbows skittering across the ground towards him. The urge to jump on the lights over took him as the wind swayed the beautiful stones and made a metallic music that made him smile. 

As he pounced on the lights like a ferocious cat with an over side back end that caused him to fall over without trying. He was in mid pounce when he heard the door to the house creak. Mazu froze sleeking back into the tall grass hoping he wasn’t spotted. A young teenage girl stepped out from the house. She wore trousers that were cut off at the knees, and a blouse that was bright blue like the sky. Her dark hair fell around her shoulders, blowing slightly in the wind. She glanced around with her dark auburn eyes as if she was disappointed.

Mazu found her to be the most gorgeous human he ever seen. Then he couldn’t help but feel sorry for the look on her face. She had this look like she was expecting someone to be there but they were long gone. Her eyes scanned the yard before her home with a look of trepidation. Then her eyes locked on him even though he was sure he was well hidden from her sight. 

Her eyes opened wide in surprise when she looked on him. Then to his surprise she glided down the stairs as if she was in a trance of some kind. He felt like he was being pulled towards her too. Before he knew what was happening, he found himself breaking from the grass and sitting at her feet. 

“Wow…you are beautiful,” she gasped.

He tilted his head wanted to say something smart back to her. But he only was able to make a gurgling growling burping noise when he opened his mouth. She giggled and knelt down to him. They were eye to eye as she let him stretch out his nose to take her sent. That was when it happened. The pull that kept him moving finally exploded inside him like light bursting into flame to consume him.

All he knew was his body was glowing and her fingers touched his snout and power passed between them. A blast of fire wrapped around her hand and slowly moved toward her shoulder to create a dragon insignia that wrapped around her bicep. Her auburn eyes glowed as did his then the light faded and he felt her for the first time in his mind, and knew they would be inseparable forever more. 

“Wow, I never dreamed…” she began. “I mean I was told I held potential but I never would have thought…thought that it would happen so soon.”

He cocked his head to the side in question. What is she talking about?

She blinked then sat on her knees placing her hands on the ground to make herself less like a giant that towered over him. “Sorry…your so little. I probably sound like a babbling idiot to you. What I’m trying to say is that some of the riders thought I held the potential to become one of their ranks. But I had to be chosen first before I could begin my training.”

His eyes widened in understanding. He remembers the elk talking about riders, but he didn’t know why she was talking about training as one. As far he knew they were just someone that hung out with his mother. Then it hit him. The connection to his mother was gone. He scooted back in alarm with fear filling him to the peak. His mother’s connection was gone. How could that be? The girl realized he was panicking but not why. 

“Don’t worry…I won’t hurt you.” 

Mazu reached out the only way he knew how, through his mind to communicated with the girl before him. 

“My link its gone. I can’t feel her. She was there now she isn’t where is she? How do I get back?”

Panic filled him as the girl picked him from the grass and held him to calm him. He thrashed in her grip not realizing he was clawing up her arms. But only a second passed before a blood curdling dragon scream ripped across the even sky as his mother realized he was gone. 

“Ah…I suppose your mother is Meisha?” the girl said holding him still with force. 

He blinked and nodded. 

“Great. And let me guess from the sound of things, she doesn’t know where you are?”

Mazu nodded his head again as fire blazed in the sky and yelling came from the village. The girl gulped, wrapped her arms around Mazu’s belly, and took off running towards the village. He didn’t know what was happening but something told him it was bad when he saw fire billowing up from the village in the distance. Oh, I am so in trouble…

****

Stay tuned for Blake's POV in Part 5, coming soon at the end of September!

****

I hope you enjoyed this installment into the short story "Mazu's Hatchling Adventure." This story is only available on KM Jenkins' Book Nook Blog. If you wish to receive update for stories K.M. Jenkins is writing or blog posts or bookish posts on the weekend. Then head over to the sidebar menu in the right corner. There you can subscribe to our blog by the RSS Feed Option or through the Follow Me Option. Until next time...

~ Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment